Title: Nursing Assistant
Location: Lourdes Hall – Covington, KY
The Nursing Assistant performs direct nursing care services and other services as needed for the residents in Lourdes Hall and Assisted Living under the direction of licensed nursing personnel.
Duties are performed in a caring, empathetic and time efficient manner ensuring the dignity of each resident.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides services to meet each resident’s daily physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
- Attends to the personal care of residents as assigned including bathing and grooming residents as assigned. Makes certain that resident clothing is neat and clean. Assists with activities of daily living encouraging independence and self-directed care.
- Keeps charge nurse informed of changes in residents’ condition.
- Promotes a positive work environment. Supports the philosophy and policies of Lourdes Hall and interprets to new staff as necessary.
- Protects individual rights of each resident by maintaining confidentiality of verbal and written information about the residents.
- Promotes teamwork. Provides care and assistance to any resident.
- Meets resident’s needs for ambulation, movement and position change. Operate Hoyer lifts to meet needs of residents.
- Assists in maintaining a healthful environment by following infection control procedures.
- Responds promptly and courteously to call signals and fulfills residents’ requests in a reasonable amount of time.
- Transports residents to dining room, chapel and other activities; participates when appropriate.
- May perform other tasks such as disposal of trash, care and maintenance of residents’ personal laundry, cleaning equipment, etc., which contribute to the betterment of the house environment.
- Participates in continuing education programs, staff meetings and in-services.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fire and safety plans and use of safety devices.
- Prepares residents for appointments as needed.
- Assists with meal and tray preparation, as well as feeding residents in rooms, and assists with after-meal clean up.
- Maintains supplies in rooms as needed.
- Provides necessary services to maintain home environment of the residents.
- Performs other assigned duties within the scope of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- High school diploma or G. E. D.
- One year of aide experience, certification as a Certified Nurse Aide or currently enrolled in a degreed nursing program.
- The ability to properly use standard equipment including thermometers, blood pressure equipment, wheelchair scale, Hoyer Lift, etc.
- Constant walking and standing is required. Ability to bend, stoop, reach above shoulder level, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to understand and carryout written and oral instructions. Must be able to understand and relate to theories behind a number of medical concepts.
- Must be able to concentrate on moderate details with frequent interruptions. Must be able to attend to tasks lasting from 10 to 25 minutes.
- Ability to recognize needs and desires of others and is respectful and courteous to others. Ability to accept and cooperate with change in work and/or procedures with ease.
- Must be in generally good health to provide immunity to common communicable organisms. Ability to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
This position may entail working on any of the three shifts. This position may be requested to assist on other shifts due to absences, or change in census.
Must be able to stand for lengthy periods of time. Must be able to push, pull, and stretch and lift 50 lbs. Exposure to latex and other medical materials.
Must be able to uphold Infection Control Stands and Occupational Safety and Hazard Standards within the work environment.
The Nursing Assistant is directly accountable to the Charge Nurse and the Director of Healthcare.
Click here to download a copy of the above.